Thursday, January 04, 2007

Jambo!

Love Africa.
Love the people, the language, the food, the land, the culture, everything!
It is beautiful.
I am so so happy here.

I sent a email telling everything about the orphanage...here is a little about what we are doing in Nairobi today and tomorrow. We met at 5 am (yes I got up that early and was smiling) with pastor Boniface, who ministers to street kids. We were stopped on a shady street and were going to round up the kids (there are about 45 now that he ministers to) but the alleys were muddy and Larissa and I are brilliant and love our flip flops so we couldn't go. The kids came to us though and we prayed with them and shared about ourselves then fed them bread and milk. There were only 12 since it was rainy. The street kids sniff glue and get high all day to escape their lives. They beg for money then buy the glue from older kids nearby. 5 of the kids were noticably high and one even had the glue bottle out. It was very shocking and sad. We were pleased to hear that 6 are now sober and have become Christians through Boniface's work. Some of you remember the mother and baby form last May when you went. The mother is sober and I met her today. Pray for her though, she was burned badly when she was high in August and couldn't walk for 4 months. Her baby, Michael, has been adopted. Boniface is incredible and encouraging as he is making a difference in these kids' lives. We are going back in the morning and will meet more kids so that will be interesting. It is hard to talk to them since they speak Swahili only and are completely out of it, but we shall see.

We met some Americans from Baylor today, that was funny, nice reminder of home.

I am going to be doing a lot of teaching at the orphanage which is great. I also get to spend a few weeks with pastor Edward working with AIDS support groups and in the Kabera slums. Larissa and I are excited to finally have an idea of what we are going to be doing. I hope we can fit it all in!

I have so many stories and pictures to share after only 4 days so imagine what it will be like when I get back... I will have to sit down everyone for a month each haha. I just showered for the first time yesterday after 5 days...my feet are disgusting...we don't seem to mind though. We wish all of you were with us and keep wanting to call and tell you funny things or stories.

Time to go, I will write soon, hopefully have more pictures up :)

Love you all,
Meghan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home